Thursday, December 27, 2012

Grilled Vegetables and Bean Quesadillas

Tex-Mex.  Mexican.  Taco Bell.  Whatever you may call it, Mexican or Mexican-inspired food is quite the rage.  In Houston, you can't swing a dead cat by its tail without hitting a Mexican or Tex-Mex restaurant.  What I find infuriating about most of them is that their quesadillas are less than desirable.  They're flavorless and doused in grease.  BLEH!!!!!  I know that I can build a better quesadillas than that!

If you haven't read my other blogs, this recipe will be easy.  Too easy.  In the words of Sandra Lee from the FoodNetwork, "it's semi-homemade."  If you're feeling overly ambitious, you can make your own re-fried beans and tortillas (hats off to the latter half!).  Though I would love to partake in those activities, I just settle on the ones I can get from the grocery store.  Don't judge me - I'm a busy lady!

I don't like my quesadillas spicy, but I'm sure they would be tasty with some fresh jalapeños.  :)

Serves 2 or 4 less hungry people

INGREDIENTS

-  Two flour tortillas
-  2-3 large spoonfuls of refried beans
-  Your choice of cheese.  I like the "Authentic Mexican" Kroger brand
-  2 small zucchinis, julienned
-  Half a red onion, sliced
-  1/4 cup of fresh cilantro
-  Olive oil
-  Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
-  Salsa of your choice

DIRECTIONS

Heat a large pan over medium-high heat with olive oil.


Add the julienned zucchini and sliced onions to the pan and season with a little salt and pepper.  Sauté until golden brown.  Remove from heat and transfer to a clean vessel.  Wipe the pan clean.


Spread a spoonful or two of refried beans onto one side of a tortilla.  Top some of the zucchini and onion mixture, cheese and fresh cilantro.  Repeat with the remaining tortilla.  Note:  Do not over fill your quesadilla or it won't fold nicely.  Less is more.





Fold the tortilla in half and place it a dry pan over medium heat.  The tortillas will remain folded once the cheese melts, so you may have to babysit them a little.  Flip them over once the other side is toasty and golden brown.  Remove from the heat, slice in half and serve with your favorite salsa (store-bought or homemade).  




No comments:

Post a Comment