Thursday, January 31, 2013

Super Green Naan Pizzas

My name is Lily and I'm obsessed with making naan pizzas.  Plain, whole wheat or roasted garlic - I love it all. 

When my husband decided to cut down his intake of cheese/dairy products, I immediately panicked.  No more pizza?  That ooey-gooey food that makes me salivate and loved by many?  Oh, dear.  That moment motivated me to create a recipe, have pizza, but in a healthier way.  Packing the pizzas with "super greens" with a touch of salty, creamy goat cheese was the ticket to flavor town (I stole that from Guy Fieri)!

I used roasted garlic naan bread (available at many grocery stores) because I love the flavor that it offers to the overall dish.  However, opt for the whole wheat version if you are trying to increase your fiber/whole grain intake.  This dish would also make great appetizers - just cut them smaller.  :)

Serving size (one package usually has two pieces):  2 people or 4 less hungry people.  However, the leftovers are amazing, so you may want to double this if you're enterntaining.


Serving size: one naan per person

INGREDIENTS

-  Olive oil  
-  1-2 packages of naan bread, plain or roasted garlic (number per package differs with each brand)
-  Half an onion, sliced into half moons
-  Any assortment of green veggies.  I used asparagus, zucchini and baby spinach (other yummy alternatives: roasted red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes and mushrooms).
-  One small package of goat cheese
-  Kosher salt
-  Freshly ground black pepper
-  Extra virgin olive oil 

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 450º.

Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.  Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil and then add the onions.  Caramelize onions until they are a golden brown.  Transfer onions to a plate.


Repeat the process with the zucchini...


... and the spinach.  After the spinach wilts, season with salt and pepper and then remove the pan from the heat.


For easy clean-up, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the naan.  I typically have to use two cookie sheets (two per pan).  Drizzle olive oil evenly onto the naan.


Arrange the cooked veggies...
  

... then with the caramelized onions and raw asparagus.  Personally, I enjoy my asparagus "al dente" so that's why I didn't cook them beforehand.


 Crumble the goat cheese sporadically onto the pizzas.  Don't go too crazy - less IS more.  


Bake the pizzas for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges turn golden brown.  Garnish with freshly ground black pepper and extra virgin olive oil.  






No comments:

Post a Comment